1. We flew Spirit airlines. They are a nickel-and-dime airline which charges for EVERYTHING, but it also means that you can avoid paying for all that stuff if you don't want it, and the tickets are cheap! For two one-way tickets from O'Hare to LAX, and one $30 bag, we paid $148! And we flew on December 19! So basically that is a Christmas miracle right there.
2. Fun fact: the airline abbreviation for O'Hare is ORD because the airport was originally going to be named Orchard Field. Andy and I learned that at the DuPage county museum.
3. When we arrived at LAX, Andy went outside and said, "Doesn't it smell like Southern California?" We were in the pick-up area, and it smelled like car exhaust. I pointed that out, and Andy, with a beatific smile on his face, said, "Exactly."
4. The first day we were here it was 75 degrees and we hiked around Griffith park. It was December 20 and I was sweating and worried about getting a sunburn. It's just not right!
5. It was so warm we decided to go get ice cream. We went to Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, and it was the most splendid ice cream I have ever had. We tried whiskey ice cream, and dark chocolate peppermint, salted peanut butter with chocolate flecks, and Andy had a coffee float with sweet cream ice cream. They have lots of stores, and if you're ever near one you must go.
6. This week we also went to Umami Burger, which has truffle fries. And we just learned that they have a Chicago location, so that's great news for the future.
7. My in-laws are wonderful, and one of my favorite things is that they support me in my love of sleeping in. We have competitions to see who can sleep in the longest. I am always a contender. But this year my father-in-law got sick and so he blew me out of the water!
8. When we aren't going to LA at Andy's request, we play games, watch movies, sit in the hot tub, make cookies, and visit family and friends. It's a great life. We've had a wonderful time!
I hope that no matter where you were you had a wonderful Christmas! We're going to be taking a bit of a blog break, so we'll see you all in the new year!
Update: At the airport on the way home, I think I saw Jane Lynch (coach Sue Sylvester from Glee)! We were flying out of LAX, and we had a while to wait, and I looked up, and there she was! Andy told me to follow her to see if I could confirm that it was indeed Jane Lynch, so I did, at a respectful distance. She was arriving, so I followed her down the long tunnel out of the terminal. Here is all the evidence that the woman WAS Jane Lynch:
1. She had Sue Sylvester's distinctive stride.
2. She was singing, and Jane Lynch just released a Christmas album.
3. When she talked it sounded like her, but it was hard to tell because the tunnel was echoey.
4. Jane Lynch lives in Los Angeles.
5. I was worried for a while because Andy and I were flying Frontier, which is in the janky airline terminal. Why would a celebrity be in the janky airline terminal? Well, maybe she likes good deals, or Andy told me that that terminal also houses Virgin America which is a nice airline.
So I now choose to believe with all of my heart that I saw Jane Lynch. That would make this episode my first California celebrity sighting, even thought I lived in SoCal for five years! Apparently it's best to just hang out at LAX.