You may be asking yourself, why is it "Hamilton time"?
Recently, in my current role working at my university's communications office, I have been churning out a batch of listicles. My new role there is basically court jester, and I’m okay with it. Yes, I know, the whole world is turning into Buzzfeed, no one has an attention span anymore blah blah blah, but guess WHAT? Dumb punchy blurbs are sort of my wheelhouse, to the surprise of nobody.
Today I’m sharing my listicle talents with you for a cause I am truly passionate about: Hamilton.
“Aren’t you over this 'Hamilton' phase yet?” you may also be asking yourself. Let me help you out: the answer will NEVER NOT BE NO. Unclear? Let me help you out again: HAMILTON FOREVER.
Here are 10 reasons you should love it too. It’s not too late! There’s still time!
- For your edumacation. I am so much more in tune with 18th and 19th century presidential politics then I had ever dared dream. If I could learn everything through rap battles, there is no question I would destroy everybody on Jeopardy.
- Even my DAD likes it. My Dad, while a great guy, is not exactly the key demographic for rap. There’s a pretty wide span of musical styles, and even if you’re not a rap person, I’ll bet you’ll be into it.
- The STORYTELLING. It didn’t win a Pulitzer Prize and a ton of Tony’s for nothing, people.
- Imagine 50 years from now, when your grandchildren ask you about your first experience with the world-shattering “Hamilton,” and you have to shamefully admit that you never listened to it, because you were an idiot. Save future you from humiliations galore! Convince your grandchildren that you were one of the cool kids!
- You can listen to the whole thing FO FREE on Spotify! And then, as your journey takes you into an ever deepening circle of Hamilton obsession, you can also watch great Youtube videos of performances and backstage extras.
- PBS is coming out with a Hamilton documentary in October, and it’s gonna be killer, and if you hurry up and get on board, you can come watch it with me!
- Hamilton has helped diversify Broadway. Some people have whined that casting people of color as our founding fathers is not historically accurate, but I invite you to consider the ways it is culturally accurate. Also, let’s consider how people of color are frequently white-washed by Hollywood. Hooray for diversity!
- Once you know all the words (which will take you approximately 10 years; they rap really, really fast sometimes) you can use the phrases for fun in everyday conversation. Anna and I do this all the time, mostly to each other, and then laugh uproariously at our own genius. We’re really cool.
- There are so many good Hamilton memes for you to explore once you get the references. Here are a few to reward the faithful.
- Everyone, and I mean everyone, from President Obama to Steve Martin to Oprah to Weird Al, loves Hamilton. Are you better than the president of the United States and celebrities so powerful they can give out cars for fun? No, you aren’t. So join the club, already.
****Shout out to Sarah, who told me about Hamilton months before I started listening to it, Anna, who nagged me into listening to it, and Isaac, who nagged me into getting past the first few songs (which I loved) and finally listening to the whole thing. I owe you.***